- School Life
Information for Parents
- School newsletters
- School lunch menu
- Term dates 2023-24
- The Prevent Leaflet
- SchoolMoney payment system
- Wrap around care
- SEN information for parents and carers
- Health and Well-being
- Ordering school uniform
- Free School Meals Letter
- E safety
- Reception Open Days
- Year 1 Phonic Screening Check
- Newlyn School Rules
- Free parent online magazine
- School Emergency Closure Guide
- Parent Questionnaire results
Stepping Stones Pre-school
- WELCOME TO STEPPING STONES
- THE STAFF AT STEPPING STONES
- Consultation letter regarding joining with Newlyn School
- Now enrolling
- Health Visiting Service
- DIARY DATES
- OUR GALLERY
- Exchange of promises
- GDPR Privacy notice and key principles
- FEES AND FUNDING INFORMATION
- OFSTED REPORT 2016 "OUTSTANDING"
- SAFEGUARDING COMMITMENT
- parental questionnaires, 2021 and 2018
- THE IMPACT OF OUR WORK
- Our vision and contact details
- Ofsted report 2010 "Outstanding"
- The Early Year Foundation Stage
- Healthy Early Years
- TOP TIPS
Policies & Documents
- TPAT Admissions 2023-2024 ALL TRUST
- TPAC Admissions 2024-2025 ALL TRUST
- Admissions arrangements
- Anti-bullying Statement
- Behaviour Policy
- British Values
- Charging and Remissions
- TPAT Policies
- COVID Catch Up Funding Overview 2020-21
- Complaints Policy
- Equality Policy
- Exam and assessment results
- Financial information, governance and key documents link
- Fraud and Corruption
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Ofsted Reports and Parent View
- Online safety
- PE and Sport premium
- PSHE Policy
- Pupil premium
- Remote Education Information January 2021
- Remote Learning Policy
- Safeguarding statement
- Scheme of Delegated Authority
- Special Educational Needs
- Uniform Policy
- Vision Statement
- Whistle Blowing Policy
- School Vacancies
- Friends of Newlyn School (FONS)
Porthenys Class (Year 1) Information and news
Welcome to Porthenys Class!
Our class is named Porthenys which is the Cornish name for Mousehole.
I'm the teacher in Porthenys Class and my name is Mrs Squires.
This page will keep you up to date with things that have been happening in the class and it will link you to helpful information to support your child during their time in year 1.
There might be photos from activities we've completed during the year that your child can talk to you about, this can help them consolidate their learning.
In Year 1, as a PRIORITY, children are taught phonics, this is crucial to help them develop their reading skills. We use a programme called Little Wandle. This is made up of daily phonics practice and then guided reading sessions three times a week.
In addition to this we ask you to read with your child daily. Spending time enjoying reading with your child, and sharing books together means so much long term.
To support learning to read, on a Monday we give out words that children in year 1 should learn to read and spell. Some of these are words children find tricky to spell. These will be in your child's reading diary. Please practise these at home, a daily run through, perhaps a couple at a time will help your child learn them. We will also practise them at school.
Mathematics is also very important. Daily lessons are completed and we also complete Mathematical activities at different times during the day too, linking into other subjects when possible. I encourage children to practise developing their Mathematical skills at home, this can include playing dice games, measuring, reading weighing scales and counting money, playing shops or helping with shopping.
PE will be on Wednesday afternoons this term. Please can children keep their PE kits in school for the week, they are handy to have available!
Please find the class newsletter for the Spring term and the overview of learning below.
I am very excited about the fun learning and adventures we'll have in Porthenys Class!